The latest addition to the Apple iPad Pro family was announced last week in the Apple Worldwide developer’s conference. This latest model comes at 10.5 inches, which makes it seat in the middle of the current 9.7-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro models.
Apple says that the 10.5-inch iPad Pro is more powerful than most PC laptops, that remains to be seen and we can validate once we get our hands on this latest iPad Pro model. In the meantime, I’ve compiled all the feedback from different reviewers and from bloggers who were able to attend the WWDC’17.
Here is what we know about Apple’s latest tablet so far:
- Release date: Already available for order from the Apple Store.
- Available colors: Silver, Gold, Rose Gold and Space Gray
- Storage sizes: 64GB, 256GB and 512GB
- Prices: 64GB Wi-Fi $649, 256GB Wi-Fi $749, 512GB Wi-Fi $949, 64GB Wi-Fi+Cellular $779, 256GB Wi-Fi+Cellular $879, 512GB Wi-Fi+Cellular $1,079
- Display: Re-designed Retina Display, 10.5-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit Multi-Touch display, 2224×1668 resolution at 264 pixels per inch (ppi). ProMotionTechnology, Wide color display (P3), True Tone display, Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating, Fully laminated display, Antireflective coating. According to Apple, the re-designed Retina display is brighter, less reflective and far more responsive than anything that has come before.
- Processor: A10X Fusion chip 64‑bit with an embedded M10 coprocessor.
- Camera: 12-megapixel camera, ƒ/1.8 aperture, digital zoom up to 5x, optical image stabilization, six‑element lens, quad-LED True Tone flash, Panorama (up to 63 megapixels), Sapphire crystal lens cover, Backside illumination sensor, Hybrid IR filter, Autofocus with Focus Pixels, tap to focus with Focus Pixels, Live Photos with stabilization, Wide color capture for photos and Live Photos, Improved local tone mapping, Body and face detection, Exposure control, Noise reduction, Auto HDR for photos, Auto image stabilization, Burst mode, Timer mode, Photo geotagging.
- Video Recording: 4K video recording at 30 fps, 1080p HD video recording at 30 fps or 60 fps, 720p HD video recording at 30 fps, Optical image stabilization for video, Optical zoom at 3x, Quad-LED True Tone flash, Slo‑mo video support for 1080p at 120 fps and 720p at 240 fps, Time‑lapse video with stabilization, Cinematic video stabilization (1080p and 720p), Continuous autofocus video, Body and face detection, Noise reduction, Take 8-megapixel still photos while recording 4K video, Playback zoom, Video geotagging.
- FaceTime HD Camera: 7-megapixel photos, 1080p HD video recording, Retina Flash, ƒ/2.2 aperture, Wide color capture for photos and Live Photos, Auto HDR, Backside illumination sensor, Body and face detection, Auto image stabilization, Burst mode, Exposure control, Timer mode.
- Video Calling: FaceTime video, iPad to any FaceTime-enabled device over Wi-Fi or cellular.
- Audio Calling: FaceTime audio, iPad to any FaceTime-enabled device over Wi-Fi or cellular.
- Speakers: Four speaker audio.
- Microphones: Dual microphones for calls, video recording, and audio recording
- Wireless: Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n/ac); dual band (2.4GHz and 5GHz); HT80 with MIMO, Bluetooth 4.2 technology.
- Wi-Fi + Cellular Models: UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz). CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1900 MHz). LTE Advanced (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 11, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 38, 39, 40, 41). Data only. Wi-Fi calling. Embedded Apple SIM.
- Touch ID: Unlock iPad. Secure personal data within apps. Make purchases from the iTunes Store, App Store, and iBooks Store.
- Power and Battery: Built‐in 30.4‐watt‐hour rechargeable lithium‑polymer battery. Up to 10 hours of surfing the web on Wi‐Fi, watching video, or listening to music. Charging via power adapter or USB to computer system.
- Built-in Apps (iOS10):
- iTunes Store
- App Store
- Photo Booth
- Find my iPhone
- Find my Friends
- iCloud Drive
- Free Apps from Apple:
- iTunes U
- Apple Store
- iTunes Remote
- Music Memos
- Swift Playground
Apple released a new leather sleeve exclusively for the 10.5 inch iPad Pro.
The leather sleeve is available in four colors, Saddle Brown, Taupe, Midnight Blue and Black. This will cost $129 and is available for order online from the Apple Store.
The 10.5-inch iPad Pro wouldn’t be complete without a matching Smart Keyboard, which is why Apple also released a Smart Keyboard for the 10.5 inch iPad Pro which is actually a full size keyboard which makes it easier to type on. The Smart Keyboard for the 10.5 inch iPad Pro will retail for $159 and is already available for order online from the Apple Store.
The Apple Pencil will be more responsive and will feel more natural with the 10.5 inch iPad Pro thanks to the increased refresh rate of the iPad Pro screen.
New features will also be coming with iOS11 coming this fall.
Rene Ritchie of iMore https://www.imore.com/ has written one of the first hands-on reviews of the 10.5 inch iPad Pro, and was pretty impressed. In the iMore review, the 10.5 iPad Pro might actually be a serious replacement for laptop PCs. You can read the full review here.